Follow Us & be part of our Family
Dragon fruits are available in different variants, colours, flavors but also in different sizes and thus weight! Some fruits always remain on the light side and only grow to a maximum of 300 grams, while some pitaya fruits easily reach 1 kilo or more! This of course differs per variety. Want to know more about what determines their weight and which varieties are the heaviest of all? We have listed the most important information in this blog about dragon fruit weight.
Average weight of dragon fruit
On average, 1 dragon fruit weighs approximately between 300 and 650 grams. This of course differs per variety. A pitaya has an oval shape and is on average a maximum of 15 centimeters. The question we receive on a regular basis is, how big is a dragon fruit? Most grow between 10 and 15 cm. Of course, there are always exceptions. Curious about the exceptions, and which dragon fruits are heavier and larger than average? Read more below!
The yellow dragon fruits are one of the smallest varieties, but very tasty!
The exceptions, big dragon fruit!
There are always exceptions of course, but what are these in the dragon fruit world? The Giant Vietnamese (the name says it all) is one of the exceptions to the rule. On average, dragon fruits containing white flesh are oftentimes larger and therefore heavier as well. The exceptions on the average dragon fruit weight are as follows:
- Giant Vietnamese – up to 1300 (!) grams
- Thai Dragon – up to 800 grams
- Thomson – up to 900 grams
- Vietnamese White – up to 900 grams
- Hailey’s Comet – up to 1000 grams
- Condor – up to 900 grams
- Purple Haze – up to 900 grams
Are there any more? Certainly, as many varieties are mixed together and new varieties are added every day. We have compiled the above list from our own experience.
How can I get heavier dragon fruits?
A dragon fruit does not require a lot of care, but some knowledge and skill is certainly useful when it comes to creating the right dragon fruit weight for your variety. Take the following points with you to ensure that your dragon fruit stays healthy and can grow well.
- A dragon fruit needs at least 6 hours of sunlight per day. This can of course be done with daylight, but also with artificial light. Light is really important for dragon fruits.
- Make sure that the plant is not exposed to cold weather conditions for a long time. The plant is a cactus and therefore needs heat to develop. Make sure the plant isn’t exposed to temperatures beneath 10 degrees. If so, it is best to move the plant indoors.
- Try not to give too much water. Make sure that the plant does not become saturated. Watering once every 2 weeks is sufficient.
- Support is very important when it comes to growing. The plant naturally needs enough support to grow. If the plant does not have this, unnecessary energy is lost.
- Plant 1 cutting in a pot. If you put several cuttings in 1 pot, you can consider that the nutritional value of the soil is divided over the different cuttings.