Follow Us & be part of our Family
What is the best way to eat dragon fruit?
So, you finally pushed yourself to buy dragon fruit. But what now? Can you just take a bite? Do you have to wash the fruit before eating? Can you eat the skin? This blogpost will explain the best way to eat dragon fruit and give you a few tips before you get started! We always eat the dragon fruit with a spoon and do no cut it into pieces, but there are many possibilities. Find your preference and all the options here!
Cutting the dragon fruit
Cutting a dragon fruit is fairly easy. The skin is easy to peel off and the flesh is easy to cut. You don’t have to wash or perform other steps before you eat the fruit. Really, it is fairly simple to consume the fruit immediately. Very handy as a snack, or if you want to eat healthy, but you don’t have the time to prepare a full meal. Eating dragon fruit will be very easy once you have read the following guidance:
- 1. Slice the dragon fruit in half, in length, with a big knife separating the fruit in two halves
- 2. Use a spoon to scoop out the fruit’s flesh. This should happen really easily.
- 3. Chop the flesh into cubes or slices in edible portions.
- 4. Enjoy the fruit! You can eat the fruit raw or put in a smoothie or salad. The seeds are also edible!
How to eat dragon fruit
There are several best ways to eat dragon fruit. You can eat the pitaya fruit raw, or you can grill the dragon fruit for instance. The dragon fruit tastes like a less sweeter version of a kiwi. There’s no need to grill, cook or freeze the fruit however it is possible and maybe even more delicious! You can only eat the flesh and not the skin. The skin has a weird texture and taste and there is no use of eating it. A dragon fruit will last about 2-4 days in a container in a fridge. Are you curious how else you can store a pitaya fruit? We have 2 easy methods for you which can be find here! If you are interested in grilling a dragon fruit, we have set up a few steps for you to following down below.
Grilling a dragon fruit
One of the best and maybe most delicious ways of eating dragon fruit is grilling it. Here’s how:
- 1. Cut the dragon fruit in cubes, and maybe add more fruits for more taste!
- 2. Put the dragon fruit cubes on wooden skewers, like kebabs
- 3. Brush lightly with oil and put the skewers on the grill until you see grillmarks
- 4. Enjoy!
Delicious ways to consume pitaya fruit
Dragon fruit, on its own, tastes amazing. The sweet taste combined with the crunchy texture of the flesh is a match made in heaven! Did you know that pitaya fruit is our favorite fruit? Of course the taste differs per dragon fruit. Did you know that a yellow dragon fruit for example is sweeter than a red one? We always try different types of dragon fruit with the following dishes:
- Make a dragon fruit breakfast bowl. Click here for a guide
- Prepare a delicious smoothie full of vitamins and protein
- Mix the fruit in a fruit salad for a healthy snack
Finding the right tropical fruits
It can be quite difficult to find dragon fruit. Most regular grocery stores do not sell the fruit, depending on where you live. Before you buy the fruit you should check if the fruit is ripe. You can buy your cuttings here at our webshop of course and grow the fruits yourself! Though you can also buy a dragon fruit yourself and eat it immediately! Make sure that you purchase a ripe dragon fruit.
Now that you can cut the dragon fruit in the proper way and know what the best way to eat dragon fruit is, are we very curious which recipe you will prepare! Let us know below and tell us about your ideas and your best way to eat a dragon fruit!