Follow Us & be part of our Family
The dragon fruit is one of the most popular tropical fruits in the world. About eating the fruit, however, there are still a lot of misconceptions. Like many other people, did you also throw away the peel as soon as you had eaten your dragon fruit or used it in a dish? What a waste, as it has been researched that a dragon fruit peel contains amazing nutritional values. Yes, the skin of the dragon fruit is actually edible! In this blog we dive a little more into dragon fruit peel uses and answer the questions how to peel and eat dragon fruit! I’m curious if you still think the same after reading this blog.
Nutrition of a dragon fruit peel
The peel of a pitaya has high amounts of pectins, vitamins, antioxidants, betacyanin and fibers, and has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for ages. Curious about the benefits? These can be found below:
- Anthocyanin. This component is linked to anti-obesity studies and might lead to a decrease in weight gain. Next to that, anthocyanins could pay a role in preventing heart disease!
- Dietary fiber. Fiber may suppress food cravings and could lead to you losing weight. Fiber also may maintain blood sugar levels and lower cholesterol levels which is also beneficial for your health!
- The dragon fruit peel may boost energy levels, improve your frame of mind and stimulate your motivation!
How to remove the skin of the fruit
Now that you are aware of the many benefits of a dragon fruit peel, it is time to explain how best to remove it from the dragon fruit itself. Peeling a dragon fruit can be a difficult task and does require some knife wielding skills! But, once you have got the hang of it, it’s a pretty straightforward movement, all you need is a knife. Here’s a step by step guide on how to peel off dragon fruit:
- 1. Start off by grabbing the knife and cutting off the bottom stem
- 2. Next up, Cut a horizontal line through the skin until you reach the flesh just below the bottom stem
- 3. Then, Cut a vertical line from the bottom to point, which you cut off in step 1, to the line you cut in step 2
- 4. After that, Peel the skin from the flesh from the vertical line you cut in step 3 until you only have the flesh with a ‘crown’ of dragon fruit skin
- 5. Finally, cut off the ‘crown’ and congrats! You have now successfully peeled the skin from pitaya!
How to eat pitaya skin
Eating the skin can be done in numerous ways. If you choose to eat the skin ‘raw’ you should make sure that you wash the peel thoroughly. You can also deep fry the peel or use it in a tea. Deep fried dragon fruit peel is used in a popular dish in Indonesia and can be combined with rice and other fruits like bananas and corn! The tea is a commonly used drink in China and is really easy to make. You simply cut the skin in small pieces and dry it out. Once the peel has dried out, you add hot water and have created a super healthy and delicious tea!
Will you use the peel of a dragon fruit next time? Let us know in the comments!