On this page we are talking about the outside (the skin) colour of the dragon fruit, which in this case has a yellow color.
Hylocereus Megalanthus (yellow dragon fruit)
The Yellow Dragon fruit, also known as the yellow pitaya, is a rare special sort, part of the dragon fruit family. The yellow dragon fruit isn’t the most popular dragon fruit but is definitely one of the most delicious tasting fruits we have ever eaten! It is significantly sweeter than ‘regular’ dragon fruits and is one of our favorite fruits without a doubt!
The Yellow Dragon Fruit, or Hylocereus Megalanthus, is originally from Colombia and Ecuador but can grow in the northern south American climate! The fruit is about 10 centimeters long and 7 centimeters wide, much smaller than red variants! Their size however can vary depending on the growing conditions and climate.
We are extremely proud to be able to offer yellow dragon fruit cuttings and seeds to you! For now we only have seeds for sale, but the dragon fruit cuttings will soon be for sale! We are working extremely hard to add every dragon fruit variant to our product range.
Remarkable, delicious taste
The inside of the yellow pitaya contains white flesh with black seeds. The white flesh tastes a lot sweeter than a regular pink dragon fruit and is extremely delicious! The yellow dragon fruit seeds taste a little bit bitter but that doesn’t ruin the taste at all.
See here the Dragon Fruit Seeds & Cuttings we currently sell:
Yellow dragon fruit cuttings will be available in 2022!
Health benefits of eating yellow pitaya
The difference between the nutrition in dragon fruits mainly depends on the colour of the flesh. Usually, the darker a fruit’s flesh, the more antioxidants it has. The white dragon fruits, however, do have a high amount of vitamins and minerals that are great for your body. Another difference is that, although white dragon fruits are sweeter than pink dragon fruits, they have less sugar in them.
Want to know everything about growing yellow dragon fruit? Read along!
Growing dragon fruit seeds and cuttings
If you’re interested in growing your own yellow pitayas you should decide whether you’ll buy yellow dragon fruit cuttings or start from scratch with seeds. We sell seeds and cuttings and will explain what it takes to grow both, so you can decide what’s the best option for you. For all information check out our page about how to grow pitaya’s.
Growing yellow dragon fruit seeds
To be a spectator of the full process of growing the hylocereus megalanthus you have to start by growing the yellow dragon fruit seeds. Keep in mind that this will take much longer than growing yellow dragon fruit cuttings. Growing yellow pitaya seeds may take up to five years before they will begin to give fruit. Check out the step-by-step instructions below on how to grow yellow dragon fruit seeds!
- 1. Preparing the soil. The first step to planting seeds is preparing the soil bed in which the seeds will be planted. It is important to choose a spot that is reachable by sunshine for at least six hours per day. Choose a well-drained potting soil that is able to retain moisture well.
- 2. Prepare the yellow pitaya seeds. Make sure the seeds are dried on a paper towel for at least 12 hours.
- 3. Planting the yellow dragon fruit seeds. The hylocereus megalanthus seeds can be sprinkled on the soil and do not need to be covered deeply.
- 4. Watering the yellow pitaya seeds. Water the soil bed consistently and evenly. Make sure it does not dry out!
- 5. Thinning and transplanting seedlings. Thin out the weak seedlings to give the strong dragon fruit seeds more room to grow. This will also organize your growing process! If your soil bed becomes too crowded you can transplant seedlings to other pots.
- 6. Support system. Your yellow pitaya plants will need support once they have grown tall to grow bigger. Since yellow dragon fruits are climbing cacti, they need a skeleton of wood or a different framework that they can climb.
Optimal climate for the fruits
The yellow pitaya is a subtropical cactus from central- and south America. This of course means that it thrives in warm, humid environments either out- or inside. The plant needs to stay in temperatures between 0 degrees Celsius and 32.2 degrees Celsius.
If you are interested in collaborating with us to grow even more yellow dragon fruit, feel free to drop us a line!
We will be able to offer yellow dragon fruit cuttings somewhere in 2022. If you are interested in buying yellow dragon fruit cuttings online please send us an email. As of now we are only able to sell yellow dragon fruit seeds. You can order your seeds by adding them to your basket. Curious about the other colours? Have a look here! If you have any questions regarding special orders, please contact us by email!